This page provides members the opportunity to post Employment Opportunities.
All advertisements will be removed after 90 days.
Member Laboratories – No Fee for posting
Non-Member Environmental Laboratories – $25 per post
Corporations other than Environmental Laboratories – $100 per post
Click here to submit your Ad for review and posting.
Click here to pay for your Ad by credit card. A 2% surcharge will be added for Credit Card purchases.
If you want to pay by check contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Laboratory Manger (8/26/2021)
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Laboratory Manager. Under the general direction of Senior Manager of the Water Quality and Environmental Compliance, the Laboratory Manager, leads, oversees, and coordinates the laboratory’s staff and the implementation of the Laboratory’s Quality Assurance Plan.
• Maintain and assure compliance to the laboratory’s PA Drinking Water accreditation.
• Coordinates activities required by the State of Pennsylvania Laboratory Accreditation Bureau, including preparing required documentation, submitting applications, and coordinating annual reviews and technical revisions to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Reviews drafts of new and updated SOPs for conformance with state and federal EPA requirements; works with Water Quality/Environmental Compliance Manager and staff to resolve process and other issues applicable to SOPs.
• Maintains and updates the laboratory’s Quality Assurance Plan (QAP).
• Monitors revisions and additions to certification and regulatory requirements for impacts on quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) requirements.
• Develops and conducts new and refresher training sessions for laboratory staff on QA/QC standards, processes, data integrity, ethics, and reporting requirements.
• Compiles existing and/or develops new QA/QC reports for management.
• Coordinates preparation for onsite audits by state certification officers.
• Monitors to the QA/QC procedures specified in the QAP and SOPs are being consistently applied.
• Conducts monthly spot checks of raw data generated in the laboratory and evaluates its accuracy in relationship to previous, simultaneous, and related data.
• Ensures that applicable quality control procedures have been followed based on analytical results.
• Reports any laboratory anomalies to Water Quality Manager and ensures that control and detection limits for processes are reviewed and modified as warranted.
• Conducts periodic audits and assessments of laboratory methods and processes down to a detailed level including instrumentation settings.
• Trace processes from sample collection to reporting to verify compliance with the laboratory QA manual, applicable SOPs and all certification and regulatory requirements.
• Manages laboratory records and data.
• Confers with QA/QC officers or related staff at contract laboratories when discrepancies or anomalies have been identified in reporting of their results; gains agreement and documents corrective action to resolve discrepancies.
• Schedule and participate in annual proficiency testing.
• Maintains personnel files, including employee Performance Testing records and employee training records.
• Directs plant and field tests and special laboratory studies to support the treatment process.
• Reviews data and makes recommendations.
• Oversees or supports the sampling and reporting as needed for the Authority’s NPDES and other permits.
• Oversees preventative maintenance and repair activities on the laboratory, plant, and field sampling equipment.
• Ensures the calibration of instrumentation and ensures compliance with regulatory requirements.
• Works with the Water Quality and Compliance Manager to develop annual budgets and arranges for the procurement to replace laboratory and field equipment as needed.
• Prepares the annual Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) for publication.
• Assists in the preparation and update of emergency response plans and procedures for the Authority’s Emergency Response Plan.
• Investigates water quality concerns from customers.
• Prepares customer reports and briefings to the Certified Operator’s Committee.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must have a bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology or a related field and a minimum of five years progressively responsible related experience. A Master’s degree in Chemistry is preferred.
• Must have three years of water quality sample analysis experience.
• Must have a working knowledge of the statistics involved in laboratory quality control practices, experience with Standard Methods for analysis of microbiological, organic, and inorganic parameters.
• Possession of a Water and/or Wastewater Operator’s Certificate is preferred.
• Considerable knowledge of laboratory programs, processes, and analysis.
• Experience working in a certified drinking water laboratory is required.
• Understanding of current federal, state, and local laws pertaining to Chapter 252 and Chapter 109.
• Proficient in supervising and directing the work of all assigned laboratory staff, both union and non-union.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
• Ability to manage others, including previous management positions.
• Certified Class A Drinking Water License is preferred but not required.
General Requirements: Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment. Applicant must present an up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination at the time of application or prior to commencement of work (subject to applicable law including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Title VII of the Civil Rights act of 1964 reasonable accommodation requirements).
Residency Requirements: Applicant must have permanent residency within one of the following Pennsylvania counties at the time of appointment and remain a resident within one of the noted counties throughout employment with the PWSA: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Lawrence, Indiana, Washington, or Westmoreland.
Examination: A drug screen, background check, and/or physical may be required for appointment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• The employee will be required to complete routine office work in a standard office setting.
• Regularly lift or move up to 20 pounds.
• Ability to work in a laboratory and plant setting.
• Perform physical work outdoors in extreme weather.
• Availability to work emergencies including all three shifts, weekends, and holidays if necessary.
• Exhibit full range of motion to complete tasks like climbing, balancing, kneeling, or grasping.
• Ability to utilize senses to see and communicate.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Applications: To be considered for this position, please submit your online application on our PWSA Careers Page: https://www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers. You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact the Human Resources Department at:
PWSA Human Resources Department
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
An Equal Opportunity Employer: The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
Position: Laboratory Manager
Division: Water Treatment Plant – Water Treatment
Rate: To Be Determined
Location: 900 Freeport Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15238
Application Deadline: Until Filled
- Field Services Associate (7/28/2021)
Suburban Testing Labs has been operating successfully since 1963. Our top rated environmental testing company has a position available for a full-time Field Services Associate. We offer comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401(k) with matching and much more! This is your opportunity to join a stable, family-owned company with a friendly work environment. You’ll receive detailed training and have opportunities to advance.
Drive a company-provided vehicle locally to transport and collect water and soil samples for our environmental testing laboratory. You’ll collect samples from various locations and perform the Responsibilities listed below. We offer career growth opportunities to take on new responsibilities, earn pay raises and progress in our company.
- Transport samples safely and in a timely manner over required route, obeying all traffic laws and observing all safety regulations.
- Gather and prepare equipment, supplies and documentation prior to start of schedule; adhere to all timelines in daily schedule
- Perform activities at client site in accordance with established procedures and timeframes
- Represent STL in the field in a positive professional manner – Interact and communicate with clients and co-workers in a professional, effective manner
- Monitor basic maintenance on vehicles, equipment and instrumentation
- Perform routine quality assurance checks on equipment and instrumentation
- Ability to navigate, drive and safely arrive at client sites
- Able to use Mobile technology (Microsoft Office, email
- Ability to work overtime
- Good communication & interpersonal skills to interact with customers
- Valid driver’s license & acceptable driving record – NOTE the vehicle you drive in this job is provided by our company.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Prolonged periods sitting in vehicle and driving
Ability to lift up to and including forty (40) lbs.
Position requires frequent standing, stooping, kneeling, sitting, and standing each work day
Ability to work outside and drive in all weather conditions including seasonally hot or cold temperatures and inclement weather
Laboratory driver, lab courier, field services driver, field technician, field services tech, field services technician, laboratory courier, courier, pharmaceutical courier, environmental courier
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $15.00 – $16.00 per hour to start plus full benefits & career growth
TO APPLY: Please email your resume to email@example.com
- Lab Technicians – City of Reading (6/29/2021)
This position works under the direct supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor and is responsible sampling and analyzing wastewater, industrial waste, sludge, and any other samples as required. There are two positions open.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
• Collects grab samples and automatic/manual composite samples from Wastewater Treatment Plant, collection system and industrial dischargers.
• Installs and maintains automatic sampling equipment.
• Follows standard operating procedures for sample collection and analysis.
• Follows all safety procedures while performing duties.
• Uses pH meters, DO meters, UV/Vis Spectrometer, and additional standard laboratory equipment.
• Performs chemical, physical, and microbiological analyses and analytical field procedures as instructed by the Laboratory Supervisor.
• Operates, maintains, and calibrates all laboratory equipment.
• Prepares chemical reagents and test solutions used in laboratory and field analyses.
• Maintains and records all data in field log book and lab benchtop books.
• Analyzes and records test information to issue lab reports that use graphs, charts, and narratives.
• Tracks sources of illegal discharges and other special sampling as required.
• Works with other laboratory technicians on projects.
• Must be available for weekend, holiday, and emergency situations as required.
• Performs custodial duties in laboratory.
• Evaluates and interprets test results.
• Performs QA/QC on laboratory notebooks and DMR
• Uses computer programs to store and generate reports.
• Performs other duties assigned by Laboratory Supervisor.
• Associates degree in Chemistry, Biology or environmental field or 2 years prior experience in wet chemistry required.
• Valid PA driver’s license Class C required.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Starting rate is $21.05/hour, 40 hours/weekly.
To apply for employment with the City of Reading, download and complete an Employment Application (Fillable) specifying the type of employment/position you are applying for, attach resume’ and send to:
City of Reading
815 Washington Street – Room 3-03
Reading, PA 19601
Applications & resumes or questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laboratory Director – Special Pathogens Laboratory (5/25/2021)
Our company is growing! Located in Pittsburgh, PA., Special Pathogens Laboratory (SPL) is a nationally-recognized analytical microbiology laboratory and consulting firm that offers healthcare facilities, water treatment providers, and other commercial and industrial sectors reliable, high-quality services specializing in the detection, control and remediation of waterborne pathogens such as Legionella. SPL is a mission-driven company. We have a proud tradition of leading the nation in Legionella detection and the prevention of Legionnaires’ disease. Our multidisciplinary approach uniquely combines the expertise of microbiologists, engineers, communications experts, and physicians to provide comprehensive solutions for our clients.
SPL is currently seeking a highly motivated and experienced Laboratory Director for a full-time assignment. We offer competitive salary and benefits, and a stimulating work environment.
The position requires the following qualifications:
Education: PhD in microbiology, molecular biology, biology or public health field from an accredited university
Experience: At least 5 years of experience in environmental microbiology, with water bacteriology preferred but not required; prior publication experience including peer-reviewed articles; prior experience in analytical laboratory management.
Comprehensive knowledge of state of the art microbiologic, immunologic, and molecular biology assay formats that can be adapted to the company missions and create an organized process for assay development.
Proven ability to apply a wide range of concepts, techniques and practices to carry out broad laboratory objectives.
Established ability to evaluate and produce reliable results, problem-solve and trouble shoot complex problems.
Demonstrated well-developed leadership and personnel management skills.
Excellent communication skills – written & oral
Proficient in the use of various software programs including Microsoft products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, End Note, .)
Demonstrated character traits in line with our core values of Integrity, Respect, Exceptional, Enthusiasm and Nice.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
Assume overall responsibility of laboratory processes, including general analytical testing, adding new test methods, as well as research activities and product evaluations.
Maintain broad knowledge of relevant healthcare guidelines, scientific principles and trends; provides leadership to direct others in solving complex problems.
Development, review, and implementation of policies, procedures, and guidelines for the methods used to provide timely and accurate processing of samples, analysis, and reporting of test results to clients; as well as policies and procedures to maintain client satisfaction and confidentiality.
Oversite of technical standard operating procedures, including development, validation, and approval. Monitor and maintain standards of performance in quality control (QC) and quality assurance (QA); ensures key performance indicators (KPI’s) are met.
Working with the VP of Laboratory Quality, providing the required technical knowledge and management to ensure that methods, documentation, and laboratory activities are compliant with regulations and requirements to retain certifications and accreditations.
Represent the lab as prime internal and customer contact on testing requests and proposals; may review and negotiate contracts.
May field client calls, lead conference calls, serving as a technical expert.
Ensure the laboratory is adequately staffed for efficient management of workloads.
Responsible for overall management and professional development of lab employees.
Provide oversight on training opportunities for laboratory personnel and assures that analysts maintain a high proficiency level in analytical methods.
Participate with Leadership to provide strategic plans and ideas to improve efficiency of laboratory operations, especially with the incorporation of new technologies.
Develop budgets for areas of responsibility to incorporate into overall operations.
Make contributions to scientific literature and conferences by active involvement in relevant professional organizations and manuscripts for publication.
Represent the laboratory through presentations that promote the SPL vision and mission.
Name: Robert Fonzi
Company: Special Pathogens Laboratory