This position works under the direct supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor and is responsible sampling and analyzing wastewater, industrial waste, sludge, and any other samples as required. There are two positions open.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
• Collects grab samples and automatic/manual composite samples from Wastewater Treatment Plant, collection system and industrial dischargers.
• Installs and maintains automatic sampling equipment.
• Follows standard operating procedures for sample collection and analysis.
• Follows all safety procedures while performing duties.
• Uses pH meters, DO meters, UV/Vis Spectrometer, and additional standard laboratory equipment.
• Performs chemical, physical, and microbiological analyses and analytical field procedures as instructed by the Laboratory Supervisor.
• Operates, maintains, and calibrates all laboratory equipment.
• Prepares chemical reagents and test solutions used in laboratory and field analyses.
• Maintains and records all data in field log book and lab benchtop books.
• Analyzes and records test information to issue lab reports that use graphs, charts, and narratives.
• Tracks sources of illegal discharges and other special sampling as required.
• Works with other laboratory technicians on projects.
• Must be available for weekend, holiday, and emergency situations as required.
• Performs custodial duties in laboratory.
• Evaluates and interprets test results.
• Performs QA/QC on laboratory notebooks and DMR
• Uses computer programs to store and generate reports.
• Performs other duties assigned by Laboratory Supervisor.
• Associates degree in Chemistry, Biology or environmental field or 2 years prior experience in wet chemistry required.
• Valid PA driver’s license Class C required.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Starting rate is $21.05/hour, 40 hours/weekly.
To apply for employment with the City of Reading, download and complete an Employment Application (Fillable) specifying the type of employment/position you are applying for, attach resume’ and send to:
City of Reading
815 Washington Street – Room 3-03
Reading, PA 19601
Applications & resumes or questions can be directed to email@example.com