As a Compliance Manager at Lehigh County Authority in Allentown, PA, you will play a vital role in overseeing and managing compliance functions within the organization. If you are well versed in legal requirements and procedures and want to use your expertise to ensure LCA’s compliant, we want to hear from you!
What you’ll do
• Develop and direct the implementation of all Authority compliance and lab programs including drinking water, wastewater, industrial pretreatment, residuals, watersheds, and other programs.
• Oversee all regulatory reporting functions of the Authority to ensure timely and complete submissions and adherence to all permits and regulatory requirements.
• Coordinate compliance department responses to internal and external inquiries as required to support other compliance department managers, or other departments as needed.
• Monitor new regulatory issues that may arise during this time period and route to others for review and response or coordinate the organization’s response. This may include preparing written comment to regulatory agencies and preparing “change of law” cost analyses for submission to the LCA Contracts Administrator for review and discussion.
• Maintain all water, wastewater, residual waste, and air quality permits and direct programs to ensure the Authority’s continued compliance, including renewals, compliance sampling, analytical review, regulatory reporting, and Water Pollution Prevention plans for construction activities onsite. Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; develops / recommends corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues and provides general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future.
• Conduct all phases of industrial sewer program.
• Formulate and recommend industrial wastewater policy and recommend manner of implementation.
• Survey and inspect potential industrial discharger within City/Signatory jurisdiction.
• Research and maintain knowledge of current regulations and standards related to industrial discharge through networking, training, education and research. Recommend changes and writes and recommend updates to ordinances, resolutions, fees, fines and penalty schedules, compliance agreements, agency response to regulatory and legal bodies and timelines associated with program modifications and compliance projects.
• Provide technical guidance and support to staff on all compliance monitoring program procedures. Initiate action to resolve industrial non-compliance.
• Inspect industrial plant operations and pretreatment facilities operations when Pretreatment Inspector is not available.
• Direct others to perform announced and unannounced waste stream sampling.
• Advise on design of monitoring facilities, including sampling probes, manholes, etc.
• Report on pretreatment program to the federal approval authority at least semi-annually or as needed.
• Coordinate the process control sampling program across all LCA water and wastewater facilities
• Support the Laboratory Manager and Quality Advisor in addressing management functions.
• Provide quality and effective customer service with courtesy and understanding to our customers, citizens, and internal departments.
• Assign, train, supervise and evaluates personnel and recommend personnel actions.
• Advise staff and industrial users of existing standards and requirements under the Clean Water Act and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and any amendments or superseding acts thereto.
• Manage the surcharge program for City and Suburban high-strength waste users which includes scheduling of industrial/commercial sampling and the Source Water Protection Program.
• Develop and coordinates compliance training and education related to regulatory issues as needed.
• Collect information from other departments on permit issues, permit renewals, notices of violations and LCA responses, and other related activities.
• Ensure proper reporting of violations or potential violations to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate and/or required.
• Coordinate internal compliance review and monitoring activities.
• Investigate wastewater and water compliance incidents, and work with operational personnel to research, develop and implement corrective actions.
• Develop budget and staffing plans for the preceding functions.
• Participate in the development of Authority policy relating to compliance functions.
What you need to thrive in this role
Education, Experience, and Skills:
• Minimum of two (5) years of water/wastewater compliance experience, with at least two (2) years of experience at a managerial / director level including supervision of a laboratory or associated lab contracts.
• Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in technical discipline, chemistry, environmental science, or related field.
• Prior experience overseeing an EPA approved Pretreatment Program and PA Water and/or wastewater certification preferred.
• Thorough knowledge of the state and federal regulatory compliance standards within the water / wastewater industries, including regulations such as the Federal and State Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, and National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System amendments.
• Must have proven leadership skills and ability to build / maintain effective working relationships with others at various levels.
• Demonstrated experience / abilities in planning, assigning, training, supervising, and evaluating staff and their work.
• Ability to review, analyze, and make decisions and recommendations on significant operation and compliance-related issues.
• Ability to independently handle necessary administrative matters, supervise and participate in the keeping of records and the preparation of reports, and express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Established in 1966, Lehigh County Authority (LCA) is a non-profit, municipal authority focused on providing high-quality, affordable water and sewer services to our customers. We operate in a cost-effective and efficient manner that results in affordable rates for public services such as the water and sewer services LCA provides.
LCA works directly with ratepayers (water and sewer customers) to meet their needs and to develop partnerships and cooperative programs with neighboring municipal water and sewer systems. LCA’s water rates are among the lowest in the Lehigh Valley, and our regional approach allows us to act quickly and to provide enhanced services where and when needed. LCA is an exciting and busy place to work, and our employees are the key to ensuring that our public services are valuable, affordable and of the high quality our customers expect.
What we offer you
LCA offers competitive pay and robust benefits including:
• Health, dental and vision coverage – covers employee and eligible dependents with affordable employee contributions.
• Generous paid vacation, excused absence, personal days, and holidays.
• Company provided life insurance.
• Eligibility for two retirement plans – Pennsylvania Municipal Defined Benefit Retirement Plan and 457(Empower).
I’m interested, how do I get started?
Apply to: https://app.jobvite.com/j?aj=oJpTifw3&s=PAAEL
Our hiring management partner is myHR Partner. myHR Partner is not a staffing service or recruiter. All resumes/applications will be reviewed for this position and only for our organization. We realize that it takes time and effort to go through our application process and we thank you for considering applying for this position. Lehigh County Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Lehigh County Authority does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, Veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Thank you for considering us as a potential employer!